Sunday, November 30, 2008

How Small I Am

On the evening of March 9, 1995, I was "stranded" in Baltimore, MD by a snowstorm. The airport shutdown and my flight was canceled. I got a room in a Marriott Hotel and was on about the 10th floor. I opened the window curtains and sat overlooking the light falling snow on a surprisingly clear and very cold night, wishing I was home, but thankful I was in a very nice, warm room. I looked out through the night and snow and began to think of all that was going on in the world, as I sat snug and warm and secure. This is what I jotted down that night:

It's bitter cold here in Baltimore, MD tonight. The air is crisp and clear and the lights are bright. Somewhere in the city someone is laughing, someone is crying, someone happy, someone hurting, someone making love, someone fighting, someone being born, someone dying, someone with dreams, someone with no hope, someone planning good, someone planning evil, someone dancing, someone crippled, someone in a warm home, someone homeless and cold. And I sit here as an observer of the world and think how much must be happening all around this great ball we call earth...and I think how very small I am.

Stanley :)

No comments: